Thursday, November 16, 2006

Fingerprints

Today I was fingerprinted for the California Bar. I have been fingerprinted before for other things (my job at the DA's office), but this was different. I'm getting extraordinarily close to finally being done.

For the past seven years of my life, I have changed apartments seven different times. It's gotten to the point that I don't even bother bringing that much out to my apartment each year, as I'm just going to have to haul it back in nine months.

The walls in my apartment right now are white. No posters. I have a picture on my desk of when I graduated high school. I have a picture on my bookshelf of when my brother got married.

That's it. But for those, my apartment would be as generic as possible. Law books in the bookshelf, law papers strewn across the room. Absolute minimalist.

Along with the empty apartments, there is a sense of uncertainty. My mind drifts back to my senior year of college. It was one month before I graduated, and I still had no idea where I was going to be that fall.

My mind goes back even further to my senior year of college. It's September. For the first time in my life, I have no idea where I would be a year from now. (Better get used to that feeling little one).

But alas, seven years later, and there is finally a plan. A long term path has been carved out. If I want it.

So finally, some semblance of permanency is beginning to enter my life. I feel like my life has been put on hold for the past seven years, and now it has been given back to me.

Back to the fingerprints. Why do we have them? It's to make sure I'm not a criminal offender. That's right, me working at the DA's office isn't enough for me to pass the background check.

Also, the form for the moral character portion of the bar requires me to list every address I have lived at over the past eight years. This can be quite a problem seeing as how I have lived at a different place every year for the past eight years. Sigh. Certainly not looking forward to filling that out.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Try having a career for ten years and then going back to the uncertainty... it's even more fun!